Here are 5 essentials that every small business owner should factor into their business plan.
1. Give it structure. Make sure you structure your finances so your personal assets and business assets are kept separate. As a minimum, you should have a separate business bank account and credit card, and pay yourself a salary. By untangling your personal finances from your business bookkeeping, you may even save time on administration.
2. Be prepared for the unexpected. If anything were to happen to your staff, your equipment or your intellectual property, it could have disastrous results for your business. The concept of business insurance is a veritable smorgasbord of safeguards against unexpected events, with options ranging from vehicle and key person insurance to public liability and professional indemnity cover. No matter what type of business you have we can can help make sure it’s protected.
3. Have an exit strategy. One day you (hopefully) intend to retire – and a time may even come when you decide to leave the business earlier than expected. Regardless of when you eventually exit, it’s important to plan ahead so it can be done smoothly, with as little financial impact to the business as possible. Start thinking about succession management sooner rather than later – it’s a good opportunity to evaluate your business and identify its future leader.
4. Plan beyond yourself. Even with a retirement succession plan in place, there’s always a chance your business could be faced with involuntary succession – for example, if you die unexpectedly. So as well as insuring your business, make sure you’re personally covered against death, disability and serious illness. You can also set up a legally binding buy-sell agreement that sets out how ownership of the business will be transferred in the case of involuntary succession. And to be certain your assets will be distributed to your chosen beneficiaries according to your wishes if you pass away, make sure you have a comprehensive, up-to-date estate plan.
5. Work to live, not the other way round. Your business is a big part of your life, but it’s important to remember that there’s also life beyond work. Many small business owners find it hard to separate work life and home life, which can cause tension with their loved ones.
If you’re looking to secure your business finances give us a call on 03 5561 2643 or email email@example.com today!
We can give you the guidance you need to remove some of the stress of business ownership.
Business Development Specialist - Ceebeks Business Solutions for GOOD
I love business and the ability to change peoples lives through them!
At Ceebeks Business Solutions for GOOD, we get up every morning to positively impact young families in business by making their businesses REALLY work so that we all make an even bigger impact together. The rewards that bring allow our team ('the fantastic five') to make small but powerful contributions to impact our local community, our country and the lives of those less fortunate around the world.
You see, something quite remarkable happens when we work together, for example, the gift of water is made when we prepare a tax return, the gift of a goat is provided when we help a new business start-up, the gift of shelter is forwarded when we organise a home loan. When we work together, we actually change the world!
I am a business development specialist with over 36 years experience, a CPA, an authorised representative of MyPlanner Ltd and a credit representative of Outsource Financial Pty Ltd. I have recently co-authored an International Best-Selling Book 'Legacy - The Sustainable Development Goals in Action' and am about to publish my first book - 'Chasing the Dream! - How to Grow a Business in these Amazing Times', host a daily blog/vlog on our small business Facebook community group page 'Chasing the Dream, and with our Team run a monthly event for small business owners called 'The Chasers Meet-Up', where a guest speaker presents a topic and tips and strategies are openly shared.
In 2015, our business won the Change GPS International Member Firm of the Year and in that same year, I was a founding member of the Global Accounting Movement - Accountants for Good. We were recognised in 2016 by Steve Pipe in his international publication - The World's Most Inspiring Accountants and Featured in "The LinkedIn PlayBook" by world-renowned social media strategist and consultant, Adam Houlahan. In 2017, we were in the Top 25 Most Popular Accounting and Tax Services Award for search4accountants, B1G1 Business for Good Top 100 Giving Businesses in the World and a Semi-Finalist in the 2017 Victorian Regional Achievement and Community Awards. In 2018, we were an Australian Accounting Awards Finalist in "Community Engagement Program of the Year", a Semi-Finalist in the Victorian Regional Achievement and Community Awards 'South West TAFE & Deakin University South West Regional Achiever Award', a Nominee in the Victorian Regional Achievement and Community Awards 'Regional Development Victoria Business Achiever Award', and featured in the Top 25 Most Popular Accounting and Tax Services Award by search4accountants.