- Identify any weaknesses they might see in your business & what you can do about them.
- Think about the strengths that may attract buyers & how you can reinforce these strengths.
- Keep well-documented business performance & tax records.
- Document business history & projects completed, or customers gained.
- Show evidence that your main markets are growing or at least stable rather than declining.
- Demonstrate you’ve taken steps to change your market position, if necessary. For example, a motel may be able to grow by making steady improvements to its facilities, moving up market &, therefore, increasing its prices.
- Improve & update your customer database.
- Start measuring customer retention rates & customer referral rates.
- Implement a customer loyalty program & referral incentives. Buyers will want to know that key customers won’t leave if you do.
- Start building more diversity & therefore resilience into your customer base if you’re too reliant on a few major customers.
- Look for ways to develop more revenue streams by adding extra services or products, & lock in stable revenues through customer loyalty programs & contracts.
- Keep improving your money management skills through cash flow, profit forecasts & budget reports.
- Show you understand & monitor the key performance drivers in your business.
- Demonstrate that you have credit management under control & that your average debt collection time is at least as good as the industry average.
- Prepare your business as if you’re planning to franchise it.
- Start building an operating manual that documents all processes in simple, easy-to-understand steps.
- Show how good systems enable faster training & help staff cover for absent employees.
- Work on developing a brand that captures the essence & unique selling points of your business.
- Take any necessary steps to enhance or reinvent your branding.
- Protect your logo & brand as a trademark.
- Consult a patent attorney or IP expert about protecting any designs, inventions, copyright material, or other IP that will add value.
- Consider what extra skills & resources you lack to exploit opportunities you’re missing.
- List & approach businesses that could help you gain work that your business couldn’t normally deliver on its own.
- Contact businesses that have more extensive distribution & sales channels.
Business Development Specialist - Ceebeks Business Solutions for GOOD
I love business and the ability to change peoples lives through them!
At Ceebeks Business Solutions for GOOD, we get up every morning to positively impact young families in business by making their businesses REALLY work so that we all make an even bigger impact together. The rewards that bring allow our team ('the fantastic five') to make small but powerful contributions to impact our local community, our country and the lives of those less fortunate around the world.
You see, something quite remarkable happens when we work together, for example, the gift of water is made when we prepare a tax return, the gift of a goat is provided when we help a new business start-up, the gift of shelter is forwarded when we organise a home loan. When we work together, we actually change the world!
I am a business development specialist with over 36 years experience, a CPA, an authorised representative of MyPlanner Ltd and a credit representative of Outsource Financial Pty Ltd. I have recently co-authored an International Best-Selling Book 'Legacy - The Sustainable Development Goals in Action' and am about to publish my first book - 'Chasing the Dream! - How to Grow a Business in these Amazing Times', host a daily blog/vlog on our small business Facebook community group page 'Chasing the Dream, and with our Team run a monthly event for small business owners called 'The Chasers Meet-Up', where a guest speaker presents a topic and tips and strategies are openly shared.
In 2015, our business won the Change GPS International Member Firm of the Year and in that same year, I was a founding member of the Global Accounting Movement - Accountants for Good. We were recognised in 2016 by Steve Pipe in his international publication - The World's Most Inspiring Accountants and Featured in "The LinkedIn PlayBook" by world-renowned social media strategist and consultant, Adam Houlahan. In 2017, we were in the Top 25 Most Popular Accounting and Tax Services Award for search4accountants, B1G1 Business for Good Top 100 Giving Businesses in the World and a Semi-Finalist in the 2017 Victorian Regional Achievement and Community Awards. In 2018, we were an Australian Accounting Awards Finalist in "Community Engagement Program of the Year", a Semi-Finalist in the Victorian Regional Achievement and Community Awards 'South West TAFE & Deakin University South West Regional Achiever Award', a Nominee in the Victorian Regional Achievement and Community Awards 'Regional Development Victoria Business Achiever Award', and featured in the Top 25 Most Popular Accounting and Tax Services Award by search4accountants.